No matter what your background in makeup is, whether you are someone who doesn’t leave the house without makeup, perhaps one who defines wearing makeup as simply applying mascara every once in a while, or you just flat out never wear makeup whatsoever (don’t worry, I’m not judging), the value of hiring a professional makeup artist can be life changing.
Makeup artists are typically hired in situations where a person is going to be photographed a significant amount, such as a wedding–which for many can be the most photographed day in a person’s lifetime. It is also extremely beneficial to hire a makeup artist for head shots or for promotional purposes that will be featured on a website or advertisement. For movies and television, a makeup artist on set is without question.
These examples provide many instances in which hiring a makeup artist is the way to go versus applying makeup yourself–even if you happen to know the basics of makeup application or wear makeup on a daily basis. I tell people all the time, I was always one to apply makeup everyday but it was not until I pursued it professionally that I really knew what I was doing. My evidence of this is when I look back at old photos and see a world of visual difference between applying makeup myself and then applying it myself once I became a true master of my craft.
Here I will explain in further detail a few of my top reasons why it is essential to hire a makeup artist for your next big event, photo shoot, or even for application techniques for your everyday use. If you are having second thoughts due to cost or simply thinking, “it’s only makeup,” then this article will definitely shift your perspective into the direction of going professional.
- Attention to Detail – Makeup artists are pretty much natural born visual perfectionists. I can at least speak for myself and assure you it starts at a young age. I was the type of person as a child, if I was creating a poster and the title was not straight or centered enough, I would feel the need to fix it immediately due to my innate attention to detail and need for it to be aesthetically pleasing. Makeup artists have an eye to really apply makeup in a way that is precise and looks good from all angles. The end goal is to also create facial symmetry such as drawing eyeliner at the same thickness/length on both sides.
- Long-wearing Products – A true makeup artist will not only have a very well stocked makeup kit of the best products in the industry and an eclectic assortment of colors but also products with the best performance to ensure that the makeup will last all day with little to no touch-ups. This is very important, especially in situations where the makeup is applied very early in the morning and expected to last until the very end of the night. Makeup artists will use the correct products to extend the longevity of the makeup so you will not have to worry about it disappearing a few hours later into the day.
- The Perfect Match – Aside from the actual makeup application, I would say there is also confusion surrounding makeup when it comes to the color selection process. Being able to match foundation or simply choosing the best colors to suit a person’s skintone, hair, and eye color is often times a challenge for most people so leave it up to your makeup artist to know what shades best suit your personal coloring along with coincide with your style preferences.
- Photo Ready – I never fail to mention to people that makeup can very well make or break a photo. The way the makeup appears in person and in a photograph can actually vary so this is where a makeup artist comes in to know how much makeup is needed to really photograph well. A person should look like their best photographed self once their makeup is applied professionally.
- Accentuate Your Best Features – As a makeup artist, I would say this is the most important reason as to why hiring a professional makeup artist is a necessity. From ample experience working with all ages and races paired with a skilled eye, makeup artists can look at a face and know what to do to best accentuate a person’s facial features. In addition, if a client has specific requests such as making the eyes look bigger, defining the cheekbones, evening out the complexion–you name it, you better believe a makeup artist has the solution and will make it happen! 😉
I hope this has provided some valuable insight as to the many benefits of hiring a professional makeup artist. They are skilled at what they do to execute a flawless finish while also committed to creating a personalized look to make you look and feel like the best version of yourself!